The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration encourages all road users, including motorists and bicyclists, to respect each other and foster a safer transportation environment. Bicycles on the roadway have the same rights, and responsibilities as motorized vehicles.
Safety Tips for Bicyclists:
• Always ride with traffic and follow the rules of the road.
• Do not ride on the sidewalk.
• Ride on the trail, paved shoulder, bike lane, or bike route.
• Make it easy for drivers to see you by dressing in bright colors and wearing reflective material both in front and back.
• Watch for debris that might make you fall or swerve.
• Watch for turning traffic.
• Wear appropriate high visibility safety gear, including helmet.